Support My Trek to Find a Cause, Treatment and Cure for MS

If you've been following my training progress, you know that I'm not just doing this for me. I'm training this hard and riding in the Bike MS to support the research efforts to find the cause, a treatment, and ultimately a cure for Multiple Sclerosis.

Please support me and this cause by making a donation. No matter how small, every little bit will help. If your employer matches, I'd be happy to take care of the matching paperwork for you too.

You can donate online or mail a check to:
Bike MS: Valero Bike to the Beach
National MS Society
P.O. Box 4125
Houston, TX 77210
To ensure proper credit to my fundraising, please be sure to print my name on your check.

Thank you all for your support and encouragement. I can't wait to share the success of this year's ride!

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Bullis Park and Knee Trouble

Trying to get in a final ride before Pete and I head to Atlanta for the Bike MS event where he rides with Erin's Fight, we squeeze in an evening ride at Bullis Park. It feels like it's been awhile since I've been out here and I'm looking forward (odd, I know) to climbing the hill on Blanco Road to get back to the parking lot.

I've rested my rear for a day after the pain of Sunday's ride. My saddle has been adjusted again in hopes of fixing the adjustment issue causing the pain. We're riding along and I think I'm keeping up well. Then my knee starts to hurt. I remember the knee pain from Fredericksburg in July, but this is different. It's a sharper, more intense pain. Now I can almost qualify the Fredericksburg knee pain as more of an ache.

I slow down a bit and try maintaining my cadence while decreasing my power, and therefor my speed. I fall back and Vicki makes the turn to the bakery. I unclip my foot several time and try stretching my leg in different ways to make the pain go away, but that doesn't work. As Pete makes the turn, I tell him I'm in pain. I know! It feels like one more thing. One more complaint. One more issue. Can't I just have a nice ride?

Pete says if I'm in that much pain I should stop and he'll go get the car. I hadn't thought of that, I was thinking I'd make it back. I ask if I should push a little further to the park ahead and he says, "not if you're in that much pain." Good point! So, I stand on the corner with my bike getting eaten alive by bugs! I now know why the horses give up and just let the flies and bugs crawl all over them. I now truly know why they call it a pony tail too.

Half an hour later, Pete returns in the Jetta. He throws the bike on the rack and I jump in the car. I'm upset, ashamed and can't believe that I have new pains that only allowed me to ride five miles today. Ugh!

Goals
Today's Miles: 5.7
Total Miles Achieved: 883.63
Financial Investment: $2172.17
Total Weight Loss: 0

No comments: