Support My Trek to Find a Cause, Treatment and Cure for MS

If you've been following my training progress, you know that I'm not just doing this for me. I'm training this hard and riding in the Bike MS to support the research efforts to find the cause, a treatment, and ultimately a cure for Multiple Sclerosis.

Please support me and this cause by making a donation. No matter how small, every little bit will help. If your employer matches, I'd be happy to take care of the matching paperwork for you too.

You can donate online or mail a check to:
Bike MS: Valero Bike to the Beach
National MS Society
P.O. Box 4125
Houston, TX 77210
To ensure proper credit to my fundraising, please be sure to print my name on your check.

Thank you all for your support and encouragement. I can't wait to share the success of this year's ride!

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Flat Repair

Tonight was our weekly Thursday night ride in Hollywood Park. Vicki gets a flat before even getting her leg over the bike in the parking lot. Of course, that means she was still at Bike World, so the wrenches (a.k.a. mechanics) took care of it for her. Meanwhile, I get up the killer hill the first time and am so proud of myself, that I said I'd commit to three for the night. The second time I feel the back of the bike squirrel a bit on a turn, but think it's all of the sand on the road in that section. Finally as I start out for my third hill repeat, I ask Steve to look at my back tire because it feels like something is dragging. Sure enough, I have a slow leak giving me a flat tire! I stop and Steve offers to change it for me. Being a bit macho since it's the women's ride, I say I can do it, but ask him to watch (and to loan me his CO2 inflator). He sits down and watches and reminds me as I start to skip a step. I did it all by myself!

I managed to make it up the hill all three times, one of those on a low tire and I changed a flat. I call that a successful night!

Now I've had a flat. Now I've changed a flat. Now I can sit back and let the guys change my flats for me. What a ride! What a night!

Goals
Today's Miles: 11.5
Total Miles Achieved: 817.62
Financial Investment: $1988.47
Total Weight Loss: 0

No comments: