Support My Trek to Find a Cause, Treatment and Cure for MS

If you've been following my training progress, you know that I'm not just doing this for me. I'm training this hard and riding in the Bike MS to support the research efforts to find the cause, a treatment, and ultimately a cure for Multiple Sclerosis.

Please support me and this cause by making a donation. No matter how small, every little bit will help. If your employer matches, I'd be happy to take care of the matching paperwork for you too.

You can donate online or mail a check to:
Bike MS: Valero Bike to the Beach
National MS Society
P.O. Box 4125
Houston, TX 77210
To ensure proper credit to my fundraising, please be sure to print my name on your check.

Thank you all for your support and encouragement. I can't wait to share the success of this year's ride!

Monday, September 1, 2008

Fredericksburg (Take Two) – A Family Affair

For Labor Day, we organized a group ride out in Fredericksburg and invited friends to join us. Pete and I went up the night before and attempted to chalk the turns so there was more than just the cue sheet guiding our riders out there. It took us almost three hours and the sun set faster than we expected, especially with our late start after yesterday's horrible ride. We went to bed hoping the orange and green chalk would remain on the roads over night.

We recruited Mom to help us with a breakpoint out there in the middle of nowhere. We were also lucky to have our friend, Dave, join us. Unfortunately, his doctor is not allowing him to ride this fall, but he came out to support our breakpoint and drive SAG for the second half of the route. It was a great pairing for the support and the entire group of riders was thankful for the snacks and water out there. Dave thought to bring a bike pump for the breakpoint and Mom kept the cookies fresh and the water flowing for everyone.

Dad joined us as a rider and rode Pete's spare bike for the hill climbing. He hung back with me, so together, we were the slow-poke sweepers. Dad missed the first turn, but I was able to holler loud enough to get his attention. He gets a little frustrated with my need to stop sometimes, but he silently waits and sometimes even is ready for a rest himself. I'm glad that I got to drive the route last night and remind myself of some of the climbs. I warn Dad about the big downhill and he doesn't seem to quite take it all in, or maybe he thinks I'm exaggerating. I head down the hill and hit over 40 mph again. I love it and know that I'm rolling up to the breakpoint. As I arrive, Mom looks down the road and asks "where's Dad?" I told her he was probably at the top of the hill still, but coming. Sure enough, he arrived a few minutes later having taken the downhill much slower than I did.

It got hot out -- FAST! We made it to the breakpoint (18 miles for us) about five minutes before Chris and Lisa (36 miles for them). It was good to know I wasn't "last". I felt like I was really pushing up some of the hills, so decided to check my tire pressure at the breakpoint. Sure enough! The front tire was at 80 psi -- it should be between 120 and 130 psi. After drinking some POWERade, eating some cookies and filling up water bottles, we headed out.

I was looking forward to the next part of the ride. This is where you see some of the old schoolhouses, homesteads, and churches. The next segment of the ride is shady and reasonably flat. We hit the road flying and I'm pumped for the scenery and the flats. My saddle felt better, but I was chaffing. This isn't something I've done on the bike before, but I've read about it and know it's not good. I don't know I'm chaffing, other than I didn't get ready at home (got ready at the B&B), but I'd put the butt butter on different and apparently it didn't work. At 23 miles, there's a great mailbox in the shade, with a couple flat rocks (a.k.a. benches) and a sign that says "Happy Trails". I stopped to adjust and Dad and I decided it was a good time to call it a ride. Just about then, the SAG pick-up drove by, so we jumped in.

By the time we got back to the vehicles, locked up our bikes, and I was leaving in the SAG with Dave, Pete rolled in having completed the 51 mile loop in 3 hours and 22 minutes! He now feels ready for the Atlanta Bike MS event on the 13th.

We had two riders that seemed map challenged (or stubborn). They did circles at one point when I saw them, made it to the break point and then went all the way out to Enchanted Rock. Thankfully, one of the gals' husband had followed the route and eventually found her on her cell phone and went out for a retrieval. The entire group did lunch together and it was a fun afternoon.

It was neat for my mom to see how positive biking and the people are and to get an understanding for what I've been doing. Pairing her up with Dave worked well as he was able to explain a lot of the bike stuff along the way. He was the cyclist helping with gear and routing and Mom was the hostess at the breakpoint. It was great!

I thought today was going to be a mental ride for me where I had to finish it this time in order to know that I can finish the Bike to the Beach ride. Instead, I learned that I can improve without achieving my goal. I learned that I have become a smarter rider and I don't have to push myself in pain in order to prove something to myself or others. I'm really excited about today's achievement and think everyone had a great ride!

We're thinking it'd make a good weekend friends event in November. Once everyone has recovered from the Bike to the Beach ride and before it gets too cold, but after it's cooled off some. The hills are a pain, but the scenery is great, and the downhills eventually make the climbs worth it!

Goals
Today's Miles: 23
Total Miles Achieved: 806.12
Financial Investment: $1988.47
Total Weight Loss: 0

No comments: